Friday, May 29, 2009

Missionary Moment

I taught the Plan of Happiness today. That wouldn't be a big deal if I was on splits with missionaries, or if Seminary wasn't over for the year, or if it was FHE with the grandkids. But it wasn't any of those things.
I'm sitting at lunch with my supervisor and another staff member. And it's a small staff, only 10 people in the department. The supervisor turned the conversation to "what's it like in heaven?" Who gets there, what's it like, and can you punch somebody that you don't think deserves to be there? The other employee thought that those feelings of wanting to punch somebody's lights out would probably go away by then.
I asked her what she thought it would be like and she said maybe just like here, or maybe just floaty stuff. Boring? I asked. Maybe, she said. My supervisor asked, So why do you think we're here?
And there was the opportunity! They had invited me to join them for lunch and my supervisor has asked me religious questions before. He knows I'm LDS and comes to me for Biblical clarification. So, I went through the Reader's Digest version; we only had 15 minutes left.
We existed as spirit children of the Father before this life. We were part of the two-thirds who were NOT cast out of Heaven with Satan and the other third of the hosts of Heaven. We chose to follow God's plan and come here to learn and to grow to obtain physical bodies and develop relationships. That we would have time to learn more even after we left this life. That we were to become like God.
The thing that seemed to blow them away was the idea that this life wasn't random, that we are here because we want to be here, we had an active part in the decision. And yet, it seemed logical to them.
What a blast!

1 comment:

Introspective Steph said...

yay, for missionary moments!