Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Movies

I've been sick for the last few days. I missed work for a day and a half, temple service yesterday and my church meetings today. Just a bad nasty cold; but that always settles in my chest. I'm doing much better now and expect to be back to normal activity tomorrow. Maybe a little under par, but back in the trenches.

So, what do you do? I've been either in bed or a recliner for the last three days with the lap top and the remote control for the television right by my side! LOL Luckily for me, it is December and the Christmas movies have started. I LOVE IT!

I haven't seen all of my very favorites yet, but for your enlightenment, here are the top three:

1. It's A Wonderful Life - My very favorite. I admire the sense of duty that George has, putting others always before himself and the fact that he is loved and appredicated by those for whom he toils. It doesn't get better than this!

2. Christmas in Connecticut - Barbara Stanwyck plays a writer whose magazine column chronicles her idyllic life on a farm in Connecticut. It's all lies and gets her in trouble with her publisher. A great, warm comedy.

3. Miracle on 34th Street - I like to watch mom defrost through the film, the lawyer start to believe in his client and Natalie Wood. Period.

If it calls itself a Christmas movie and includes a lamp shaped like a leg, a bunny suit or a frozen pole - it ain't on my list! LOL

Do you have one movie that tells you it's Christmas?

10 comments:

Saquel25 said...

I absolutely LOVE "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott. There is nothing that says Christmas to me more than Charles Dickens. I have watched it every Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember. Another I would recommend is "The Snowman." It's an animated short movie with an excellent score. I watched that when I was a child and recently bought it for my own children. I so enjoy continuing traditions we had when I was growing up.

Mamapierce said...

I greatly enjoy WHITE CHRISTMAS and THE BISHOP'S WIFE. I agree with Sarah - THE SNOWMAN is also very good, especially the music.

jennifer said...

Sorry you haven't been feeling well, but I'm glad you've been staying entertained!

I love White Christmas and The Sound of Music (not sure why that's a Christmas movie, but I have seen it every year at Christmas since I can remember.)

And A Christmas Story is one of my favorites! ;D

nicole said...

We missed you today! Especially in choir!
As far as the movies I enjoy... I love "It's a Wonderful Life" absolute classic.

And yes, I admit it, I love "A Christmas Story"... I think it's hilarious!
And I have to second Saquel's recommendation "The Snowman" is great... I also LOVE that music!

Anonymous said...

What???? You don't love "A Christmas Story"????? Hope you feel better soon. Though I don't envy the sickness, I do envy the ability to just watch Christmas movies. You know, without having to break up arguments, wipe noses, changes diapers, answer a million questions about what is going on in the movie, etc. Enjoy!

Lilola said...

*Saquel25 I do love "A Christmas Carol", but much prefer the Patrick Stewart remake. And some of the story adaptations are okay, even "Scrooged" - but it doesn't give the same warm, fuzzy feeling!
*Jill "The Bishop's Wife" is also one of my favorites, not just because it stars Cary Grant!
*Jennifer "The Sound of Music" works at Christmas too. Some theaters do sing-along showing of it. I'll watch to see if there is a local one!
*Nicole I don't have many favorite animated films, I'll take your agreement to mean that "The Snowman" is great.
*Elaine Remember there are advantages to aging, the constant annoying presence of little children is one of them. Also one of the DISadvantages.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Lilola said...

*Elaine Remember there are advantages to aging, the lack of the constant annoying presence of little children is one of them. Also one of the DISadvantages.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Jenn said...

I love all the old classics. The only thing that could make any of them better is having ALL of my family there watching them with me.

Get better soon. We can't go another Sunday without you...SERIOUSLY! You are so much FUN!

Chocolate Inspector said...

I just watched Mr. Krueger's Christmas, I like that one. And Christmas Story. I also love Tim Allen's Santa Clause movies. I hope you are feeling better Ilona!

Anonymous said...

I have bever seen the Snowman. Sounds like it's a winner--my all time fave is "it's a Wonderful Life". We always watched it on Christmas Eve, while enjoying homemade cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate...in Phoenix! Hey---it was cold enough! ;)