Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dancing with Different Stars

I may have mentioned a time or seven hundred that I love, love, love music! As an appendage to that, I also love dancing. Ronald darling and I have been known to cut the rug from time to time. Waltz and swing are our favorites with square dance and polka thrown in. Boot Scootin' Boogie, not so much.
Remind me sometime to tell you the funny story about Ronald darling and square dancing. You will fall on the floor laughing. Oh yeah, I forgot, I can just write ROFL! But that is a story for another time. Today we are talking about other people dancing.
In addition to music, singing and dancing, I like see them put together in one place and call it a musical!
You want to know my five favorite musicals? Sure, here you go!
  • The Music Man
  • Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
  • Damn Yankees
  • Oklahoma
  • West Side Story

The next five?

  • Fiddler on the Roof
  • Mary Poppins
  • State Fair
  • South Pacific
  • High Society

I could go on...... When I discovered musicals I found that some people don't like them. Really. I could not understand, so I just up and asked them. Why not!?! The reason they gave was completely irrational. You want to know the reason? They thought that musicals were illogical. No one busts out singing at the drop of a hat. But they are wrong, because I DO!

I DO! I DO! by the way, is the name of another musical, which I've never seen.

But along with the music and the singing is the dancing. Love it. Here is a clip of dancers from about 40 different musicals. They are in a montage set to one piece of music. The editing is great, because all of the choreography fits the music.

WARNING! Some of the shows were made in the 80's, so there is scary hair. Also scanty costumes on a some of the dancers may bother you. And the obligatory hip grinding that passes for dancing in some venues. Forewarned is forearmed.



1 comment:

Sylvia said...

I spontaneously break out into song all the time! :) So do my kids! So, for those who may have rationalized their dislike of musicals by their assumption that people "just don't break out in song"... you have another witness of the truth! Sing it, sista! :D