Thursday, March 12, 2009

What is wrong with what we know?

I was talking to a friend last night and we touched briefly on political issues. Briefly, because we want to stay friends and we are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
He said that he was against President Bush because Bush was anti-science. One of the examples he gave was that the NASA budget had been cut by 80% during his administration.
I didn't believe that was true, but had no evidence at the time. I reminded him of the president's plans for additional Mars missions, but he said that was just for show.

So, I did some research this morning on the NASA budget. Over the last 8 years, NASA's budget increased by over 27 per cent.

I don't know where my friend got his figures, but he believes them and they strongly affected his opinion. Accuracy in current and historical information is absolutely essential.

2 comments:

Mamapierce said...

How true that is.

jennifer said...

This is why the first thing dictators do is to control the media!

And why the "fairness doctrine" and liberals' attempts to silence conservative voices is so dangerous.